Bowflex Max Trainer Noises Solved

5 years 4 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #395 by DaleG
Bowflex Max Trainer Noises Solved was created by DaleG
I had three different noises that I had to solve on my BowFlex M5 Max Trainer, a popping noise that came from the rotating arm on each side, a hard thump that came from the right side when the rotating arm was at the bottom of the rotation and was starting back up, and a very irritating squeak.

First the popping. This was caused by excessive slop where the end for the pedal arm attached to the rotating arm on each side. You could see the arm sliding back and forth on the shaft as it rotated around. I fixed this by going to my local hardware store and getting two thin stainless-steel washers. I placed them on the shaft first, then the cylinder on the end of the pedal arm, then the washer and mounting bolt to hold it on. Be sure not to get too thick of a washer because it will cause the rotating arm to bind. This really quieted this noise down and is now 95% better.

The next noise is the hard thump on the right side. First take off the right cylinder, that is on the end of the pedal, from the rotating arm. Then take off the two screws that hold on the decorative plastic disk. In the center there is a 9/16" nut that holds on the rotating assembly. This was loose on mine and allowed the rotating assembly to rock as the rod was at the bottom of the rotation and starting back up the other side causing a thump as it rocked. I simply tightened this nut and this corrected 100% of the problem.

The last noise, the squeak, was harder to find but a very easy fix. It ended up being the rubber cap that covers the retaining bolt that holds the pedal arm on the rotating shaft. If this is pushed all the way on and comes in contact with the rotating assembly it starts squeaking as the metal rubs on the rubber. Just simply pull the cap back to give a space between the metal and rubber. This cured 100% of the squeak.

I hope this information helps others that are discouraged because their very expensive machine is making noises. I love the simple workout this gives but hated the noises. Now the noises are gone and I can workout in peace:)
3 years 10 months ago #793 by Janette
Replied by Janette on topic Bowflex Max Trainer Noises Solved
Your post was INCREDIBLY HELPFUL! Bought a used one and had that horrible thumping on one side. Tightened that nut and no more noise! Thank you so much for this post!!!!!
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #815 by Holly
Replied by Holly on topic Bowflex Max Trainer Noises Solved
I also bought a used one, and it started to have very loud noise. I recorded it on a video for YouTube here .

Can you help me identify if this is the same noise you described as thumping? I'm really sick of the noise now.

Thanks!
3 years 8 months ago #829 by Anonymous
Replied by Anonymous on topic Bowflex Max Trainer Noises Solved
Thanks for putting that out there. It is amazing that so many people have these silly problems with a machine that cost so much.
3 years 8 months ago #835 by Krista
Replied by Krista on topic Bowflex Max Trainer Noises Solved
Were you able to find a solution to fix this?
3 years 2 months ago #1344 by JanetS
Replied by JanetS on topic Bowflex Max Trainer Noises Solved
DaleG, thank you very much for these tips! For the less-mechanically-inclined, will you please link to a YouTube or even a rough diagram that labels and shows your work. I have a thump at the bottom of the left pedal. Probably the same probably the same problem you on the right. A visual would be very helpful to me. Thank you!!
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds