Brooks Sports was founded in 1914 and started off making shoes and moved into athletic related footwear by the 1930's. Brooks is well known for their running shoes which through various technologies like 3D Fit Print are designed to keep runners running longer, farther and faster.
Brooks currently sell sports footwear and apparel like shorts, pants, shirts, and sports bras in over 50 countries for men, women, and kids.
Through ongoing research Brooks has broken down the type of runner (and how they run) and the footwear into 4 distinct categories. These include:
- Cushion - Protective and soft running shoes which cushion your every step
- Energize - Add extra lift to the runners stride with responsive and springy shoes
- Connect - Feel the terrain as you run with lightweight and flexible footwear
- Speed - Streamlined shoes to help propel you through your run
These categories is also how you shop for shoes on the Brooks website (called Shop by Experience). On their main menu you can select Women or Men and then one of the above categories. You can also select shoes by Support Level, Trail Running Shoes, Track Spikes & Cross, Country Spikes, Walking Shoes, and Lifestyle Shoes. There is also a separate page for shoes on sale and final sale shoes and clothing.
Once you are viewing a shoe category, a gallery list of shoes will be displayed. From here you can view the name and image of the running shoes along with the color combinations that are available. The price will be listed along with a 5 star customer rating. In the gallery, shoes can be filtered by color, sizes available, width, and a number of other attributes. 2 or more shoes can also be selected and compared if needed. The shoe gallery can be sorted by price, name, rating, launch date, and award winners.
When you select a shoe you want to view in more detail you will be present with the shoes full product page. Here you will find multiple large pictures of the shoe along with a detailed description which includes a list of features and what they offer the athlete. It will also list the specifications of the shoe including the category it belongs to, construction type, date launched, arch type, midsole drop measurement, if it is water resistant, type of surface the shoe is for, support level, and shoe weight. You will also find customer reviews of the shoe which include the review text, pros and cons, and a 1 to 5 start rating. On this page you can add the shoe to your cart which requires you to pick the color, size, width, and quantity of the shoe you want. Most of Brooks running shoes have a life expectancy of 300 to 500 miles.
On a Brooks shoe product page it also can list the smart technologies the shoe you are viewing feature. Here is a partial list of technologies in which Brooks features in their shoes:
- 3D Fit Print - Uses screen print tech to apply the engineered structure to the shoe. Increases flex and decreases weight
- 3D Hex Lugs - Aggressive lugs on sole provides max grip
- DNA Midsole - Cushioning system
- Ballistic Rock Shield - Plastic EVA sheath between outsole and midsole to protect the foot
- Guide Rails - Midsole that helps joints move in their unique motion
- Ideal Pressure Zones - Pressure is distributed evenly on the bottom of your foot when you step
- Nightlife - Shoes visible at night
- Segmented Crash Pad - Integrated shock absorbers for cushioning when running
- Rounded Heel - Curve aligns force when running to reduce stress on joints
- Super DNA - Sole material which offers cushioning and energy return
The BrooksRunning.com website offers a digital tool called Shoe Finder. This tool asks you a series of 9 questions to help determine the best type of shoes for you as a runner and uses the latest research from running science to determine this. Along with basic questions about your gender and if you prefer running on the road or trail, the tool will ask you questions like:
- How do your feet position themselves while walking (toe in, toe out, toe straight forward)
- How stable are you standing on one foot (without shoes on)
- How your knees bend (in, out, or straight) when you squat
- How flexible are you?
- Do you have pain when running or had a running related injury in the past?
- How many miles do you run each week?
- What are you training for? (Health, 5k, 10k, Half Marathon, Marathon or Longer)
- Running experience you want (Float - shoes that lift you off the ground or Feel - less shoe that feels lightweight)
- Based on previous answer select the shoe experience type that appeals to you (Cushion or Energize for Float, Connect or Speed for Feel)
The questions also include illustrations when needed. Once you finish answering the questions your recommended results will be displayed. If you have created an account on BrooksRunning.com you may also save your recommendations to your account.
While Brooks is mainly a shoe company they do have a large selection of running apparel for women and men. This includes:
- Sports Bras
- Running Shirts
- Running Shorts, Pants, Capris & Tights
- Running Jackets & Vests
- Running Accessories (Socks, Hats, Gloves, etc.)
The clothing gallery and product pages work very similar to the shoe pages. Depending on the high-tech fabric used and the clothing type you will find a number of features your clothing may have which runners will appreciate. This includes odor-resistant, temperature control, waterproof, windproof, stretchable, and reflects light in low light conditions for increased visibility. Most clothing cost between $37 and $140.
Regular shipping is free at BrooksRunning.com to anywhere in the United States. Processing and shipping your order will take from 3 to 10 business days depending on your location (unless next day shipping is selected which costs $20).
A pair of Brooks mens or womens shoes cost anywhere from $28 to $170.
* All prices are in USD unless specified other wise. Prices, coupon codes, products offered, and product features last checked June 09, 2016.
Brooks Sports has a True Blue Guarantee which allows you to use your shoes and other Brooks gear for up to 90 days. If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase within those 90 days, you can return it for a full refund. Items purchased which have never been used and still in the original packaging can be returned within 1 year of purchase. All returns that are purchased on BrookRunning.com include free return shipping. All shoes and apparel fall under this guarantee except for final sale items.
Brooks customer service can be reached via a toll free phone number, online form, and online chat during business hours. A blog and newsletter is also available which contains inspirational articles and tips on running. The website also has pages on shoe and apparel sizes and what the different measurements mean. You can reach out to Brooks as well via Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Community support is also offered via the Brooks Community Discussion Forum. You can join in and start discussions on anything about running. This includes Brooks products, training, health and nutrition, injury and prevention, and races and events.
Disclaimer: While we make every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of our information at Review Chatter we shall not be held responsible for any discrepancy. There is a possibility that the information provided here is outdated or wrong, please check with the companies website directly for the most recent information. As always you should read your terms of service before purchasing any product online or signing up to any online service.